The Global Alliance of Sickle Cell Disease Organizations (GASCDO) is seeking new board members to guide its mission and development. Board members are responsible for ensuring that GASCDO fulfills its fiduciary responsibilities to the organization and are committed to GASCDO’s mission to serve the sickle cell community globally. The Board of Directors, acting as a single entity, is legally and ethically responsible for all activities of the organization. Individual board members have an obligation to uphold the standards of conduct set for them by the board and applicable laws.
The Board of Directors meets monthly and are expected to serve on at least one committee and
serve the organization in other capacities. Board members serve a minimum of three years as ambassadors of the organization.
Interested individuals should submit by May 22, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org, a current resume and written statement about why they want to serve on the board of GASCDO including other global, nonprofit boards they’ve served on; interest and/or commitment to SCD; leadership roles they’ve held and for how long. Additionally, they have to be from an existing member organization of GASCDO.
GASCDO Board Member Job Description/Expectations
The Board of Directors, acting as a single entity, is legally and ethically responsible for all
activities of the organization. Individual board members have an obligation to uphold the standards of conduct set for them by the board and applicable laws.
The Board is responsible for:
- Determining how the organization will carry out its mission through long and short-range review and planning.
- Adopting an annual budget, providing ongoing fiscal oversight and ensuring the organization has the financial resources necessary to carry out its mission
- Recruiting, orienting, training and developing board leadership to maintain continuity and institutional knowledge
- Hiring, supervising, evaluating and supporting the performance of the President and CEO
- Evaluating its performance and overall performance of the organization in achieving its mission
- Establishing policies for the effective management of the organization
- Ensuring legal compliance
- Understand and promote the organization’s mission
- Be familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations
- Attend and actively participate in board meetings and appropriate committee meetings
- Actively serve on at least one committee and offer to take on special assignments
- Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings
- Participate in fund raising activities and special events
- Strictly adhere to conflict- of- interest policies
- Strictly adhere to confidentiality policies
- Attend and actively participate in at least 75% of board meetings annually
- Attend and actively participate in committee meetings and related work
- Attend and actively participate in the Annual General Meeting
- Attend and actively participate in the Annual Board Retreat
- Attend organizational events
- Meet with potential donors/funders to make a case for funding the organization, answer
questions, etc. (as needed)
Financial and Resource Development Expectations: Participate in resource development and fundraising activities
- Recruit sponsors, as needed
- Identify and assist in cultivating potential donors (as needed)